Saturday, November 03, 2007

Vets Park CX

Today turned into another awesome weather day. CX season is supposed to be cold, dreary, muddy, and even snowy. Out of my CX races this year I had 60's, 70's and 80's all on sunny days. I can't complain about that.
We lined up with 23 strong in the A race. The field was stacked with the usual suspects, MTBers getting the final touches in for ICEMAN and even some out of town guys came in. I started the first lap in my usual spot. Robert and I were fighting it out for dead last. Just before the end of lap 1 I got into my rhythm while everyone else settled down from the fast start.

I rode my bike and enjoyed every moment of it. Every lap I would pass people. 1, 2, or 3 people a lap. Just like my other races, my steadiness won. No crashes, no screw ups, and 110%. After 3 very tough end laps battling it out with a WMCR rider, I came in 11th overall and am very happy about my result. Props to the WMCR rider who could run like the wind on the run-up. I would gap him, then he would run-up and catch me. Finally on the last lap he got me.
The funniest part of the race was after the first set of barriers on one of the middle laps. I had ran over the barriers (smoothly) and jumped back onto the saddle. I look up and hear, "Awe, man, that has got to hurt." It was a 14-15ish year old kid standing at the end of the tape over his BMX bike he had just rode there. That gave me a great mid-race chuckle.


Looking foreward to next weekend shows some 40 degree weather and hopefully no rain. Today was probably the hardest I have ever raced in my 3 years of racing. After the race my lungs were on fire like I had just had an asthma attack. Talk about 1 hr of VO2 Max. My form is good and with a little rest and a touch of intensity between now and Saturday, I should be good to go. Not to win, but have a good race, have fun, and try to place well.

1 comment:

Shawn said...

Mmmmm Lungs burning. I am still hacking crap out after my cyclocross event this weekend. See ya soon.

Shawn