Monday, January 09, 2012

Too Little Time

I was thinking yesterday, I'm glad I only have a few solid hobbies.  I don't think I would have the time to do anything else.  Take for example, this weekend.

Saturday: Leave the house at 8am and ride dirt out to Fruita, hit some flowy 18Rd singletrack, then ride back to GJ by noon to open the shop.


Sunday: Get up at 4:45am, slam some espresso and banana, gather gear, and out the door at 5:10.  Skin up the 1,800ft at Powderhorn under a full moon and drop down for turns on some fresh snow.  Re-skin and do it all over again.  Home by 9:30 for pancakes and coffee, then out the door at 11:30 for a sunny 3hr trail ride.  Home to watch part of CX Nationals, eat, then relax.



Aside from that, watch this video from Tilford.  Besides all his tangents, I think he speaks the truth about having good blood.  That or just good muscle memory.  I've felt like crap on the bike and even skiing the last couple months.  Just like I couldn't get in a rhythm, breathing too hard, muscles weren't engaging right.  I don't know.  I had a week and a half off, then I did a 28hr week on the bike in Tucson.  What a difference that made.  I rode hard 4 hours on Saturday and felt amazing.  Sunday, I effortlessly skinned up Powderhorn in what seemed like 1/2 the time.  Then the afternoon of riding was even better.  My legs were opened, I could throttle it and felt smooth.  It could be part mind games, but who knows.  I guess it's good for motivation that it can come back so quick.
http://www.cyclingdirt.org/coverage/247673-USA-Cyclocross-National-Championships-2012/video/559770-Steve-Tilford-National-Champ-Good-Blood-Cyclocross-National-Championships

No comments: